Import and export assessments (i.e. test or quiz)
The import and export operations allow you to download an assessment or question pool created in the Tests & Quizzes tool into an external file, and to upload from such an external file, or a format-compliant file obtained elsewhere, into an assessment or question pool. The file comprises the entire assessment, including its title, settings, questions, and other options.
Three export formats are available, IMS QTI 1.2, IMS Content Packaging, and Markup text. Content Packaging will capture links and attachments in your questions and package the file as a .zip file; you must transfer links and attachments yourself if you use IMS QTI. Both formats create an XML file of your questions with all the components labeled according to the IMS standards.
Tip: Many publishers provide test bank cartridges in IMS format. You may want to use this option if you are importing questions provided by your textbook publisher.
- 1 Go to Tests & Quizzes
- 2 Click Add
- 3 To import an assessment, click Import
- 4 To export an assessment
- 5 More questions about the Tests and Quizzes tool?
Go to Tests & Quizzes
Select the Tests & Quizzes tool from the Tool Menu in your site.
To import an assessment, click Import
Select your file, and click Import
- Click Choose File to browse for the file on your own computer system and open it. Once you have selected your import file, it will show the file name next to the button.
- Select the radio button indicating they type of file you are importing. (Tests & Quizzes supports files saved in QTI format.)
- Click the Import button.
View your assessment
In the lower area of Tests & Quizzes, you will see a new assessment. (It will have the title of the downloaded assessment, not a title from your external file name.) You may now edit the assessment questions, or select Settings to change the title and other settings.
To export an assessment
The export will create a new file on your system, suitable for saving for further use or porting to another IMS-compliant system.
Click Export for the assessment you want to export
Use the drop-down menu next to the assessment title. Click Export.
Choose the export type and export
- Select the export type. Your choice will depend not only on whether you wish to capture links and attachments, but also on the import capabilities of the intended destination.
- Click the Export button.
Save (download) the file to your own system
The exact prompts and steps will depend on your browser, but you may be prompted for the action to take. The resulting file can be stored for later import.