Add a rubric to a gradebook item
Go to Gradebook
Select Gradebook from the Tool Menu in your site.
Add or Edit a Gradebook item
- Select Add Gradebook Item to create a new item.
- Or, select the down-arrow in the column heading for an existing gradebook item, and then select Edit Item Details.
Note: If the gradebook item has a lock icon to on the left side of the grading box, it is coming from another tool. You will not be able to use a rubric with locked items, since they must be graded from within the tool of origin. If you wish to use a rubric, attach a rubric to that assessment in its tool of origin (Assignments or Tests and Quizzes).
Configure the rubric options
- Select the Use the following rubric to grade this assignment radio button.
- Choose the desired rubric from the drop-down menu. Note: You must have existing rubrics in your site before they will display in the menu. Shared rubrics must first be copied to your site before they will be available for selection.
- (Optional) Preview the selected rubric to make sure that it is the correct one.
- (Optional) Check the box for Adjust individual student scores if you would like to be able to change the number of points awarded for individual criteria ratings while grading student submissions on a per-student basis.
- (Optional) Hide Rubric from student hides the rubric, both the preview and the graded rubrics, from the student. Only select this feature if you do not want students to have access to the rubric at any point (this includes graded rubrics). Hiding Rubrics is an irreversable action, once selected it cannot be undone.
Select Save Changes when you have finished setting up the gradebook item
Your gradebook item now has a rubric attached
Gradebook items with rubrics attached will display a rubric icon next to the title of the item.
To grade using the rubric attached to the gradebook item: Grade a gradebook item using a rubric.