Add an Assignment
- 1 Visit the Assignments tool.
- 2 Click the Add option.
- 3 Give your assignment a title
- 4 Add assignment instructions
- 5 Add Integrity Pledge (Optional)
- 6 Add Attachments (Optional)
- 7 Specify Availability
- 8 Hide due date from students (Optional)
- 9 Add due date to Schedule (Optional)
- 10 Add an announcement (Optional)
- 11 Access
- 12 Display only to selected groups (Optional)
- 13 Choose submission format
Visit the Assignments tool.
Select the Assignments tool from the Tools Menu in your site.
Click the Add option.
Click the Add button to add a new assignment.
Give your assignment a title
The title of your assignment should be something descriptive and unique, as this is the title students will see when they go to the Assignments tool to submit their work.
Add assignment instructions
Enter the instructions for the assignment into the Rich Text Editor. You may use the editor to format your assignment description, and add images, links, or other media if desired.
Add Integrity Pledge (Optional)
When the Integrity Pledge option is selected, students must indicate acceptance of the Integrity Pledge before submitting their assignment: Integrity Pledge: I understand that Studying with Integrity means completing my own work and taking responsibility for demonstrating what I have learned. This includes citing the work and ideas of others appropriately, participating actively in group work situations, asking questions to gain clarification if I am unsure, and managing my time so that I can complete my best work.
Add Attachments (Optional)
If you would like to attach any additional files to the assignment, such as a grading rubric or peer review rubric, click the Add attachments button to browse for and attach file/s.
When you create a new assignment, the Open Date will default to the current day, and the Due Date and Accept Until dates will default to one week later. Change the dates using the calendar icon to bring up the date-picker pop-up calendar.
- The Open Date for your assignment is when it becomes available for students.
- The Due Date is the deadline to turn in the assignment.
- The Accept Until date allows you to accept late submissions after the due date. (Late student submissions marked as late.) If you do not accept late submissions, you may leave the Due Date and Accept Until date the same.
Tip: Often, faculty like to set the time on the due date to 11:55 PM, as that is the latest time you can select on a given day. Selecting 12:00 AM will display the date as the next day, and this may confuse students about the actual due date if they assume they have all day to turn in their work.
Hide due date from students (Optional)
If you would prefer for students not to see the assignment due date, check the box next to the Hide due date from students option.
Add due date to Schedule (Optional)
If you would like your assignment due date to be added automatically to the Schedule (a.k.a. Calendar) in your class, check the Add due date to Schedule box.
Add an announcement (Optional)
If you would like an announcement to be automatically posted to the site regarding the open date for your assignment, check the Add an announcement about the open date to Announcements box. If you enable an announcement about the option date, you will also have the option to choose an email notification for the announcement.
Note: The announcement will be posted immediately when you post your assignment, regardless of the actual open date of the assignment itself. This option is best used to announce changes in a due date, or the availability of a newly posted item.
You may display your assignment to everyone in the site (the default), or to selected groups.
Note: You must have existing groups in your site in order for the Display to selected groups option to appear.
Display only to selected groups (Optional)
If you select the Display only to selected groups option, the settings will expand to show a list of all existing groups in the site. Select one or more groups to display the assignment to those groups only. If you selected the Group Submission option, you may limit the groups that are allowed to submit here.
Note: The display option only controls the visibility of the assignment for users in different groups. By default, each member of the group still submits an individual assignment, but this display setting allows you to identify different assignments for different groups or sections.
Tip: If you want students to submit one assignment per group, use the Group Submission - One submission per group option below.
Choose submission format
There are several submission formats that you may accept:
- Textbox and Attachments: This is the default format and it allows students to either enter content into the rich text editor box, or attach a file, or both.
- Textbox: Student may only submit a response by entering their content into the rich text editor box. The attachment option is not available. This is a good option to choose if you want to be able to grade all of the responses online without having to download or open any files.
- Attachments: This format removes the rich text editor option and leaves only the attachment option available.