Create Group Channels in Teams
- 1 Using Channels in a Team
- 2 Log into Teams
- 3 Click on the Teams icon on the left menu
- 4 Click on the Team
- 5 Add Channels
- 6 Channel options
- 7 More questions about Teams?
Using Channels in a Team
Channels are spaces that can be defined outside the 'General' channel. They can be used for group work, topic specific discussions, office hours, weekly meetings or otherwise collaborative spaces. You can set up the channels to be Standard or Private. More information on the different types of channels: Standard vs. Private Channels or through the Microsoft documentation: Standard vs. Private Channels.
Log into Teams
More information is available in the Where is Teams? page.
Now that you've logged into Teams, you will need to click the Teams menu button along the left-hand side of the tool (not to be confused with the software named Teams). Your various class Teams sites will appear here in squares labelled with the course code.
Click on the Team
Click on the Team where you want to create Channels. If you do not find a screen with a set of blocks representing different Teams you are a part of, you are likely already in a specific Team. At the top left of the screen find the "All Teams" link and click to return to the space where all of your teams are listed.
- Click on the ellipsis (...) beside the name of the Team on the left-hand side of your screen.
- From the drop-down menu select Add Channel
Name the Channels
Enter the channel (Group) name. Noting that there is a privacy box at the bottom. More information on the privacy setting can be found here: Teams Standard and Private Channels (Groups).
Repeat this process to add additional Channels
Repeat the above 2 steps for as many breakout rooms as you need. You will notice as you add channels they appear on the left hand side of your Teams site under the General Channel. Once you have created the number of channels that you desire you are ready to use them in a Teams call.
Starting an Unscheduled Meeting in a Channel
- For both students and instructors to join group channel calls click on the breakout room channel in your Team, the first person that arrives in the breakout room channel will have to start the call by expanding the ```Meet``` button and selecting Meet Now in the top right-hand corner of the channel.
Joining a Meeting in a Channel
- Others that follow will be able to select the purple Join button in the Chat section of the breakout room channel.