Difference between revisions of "For Instructors - Getting Started with Sakai"
|Line 153:||Line 153:|
===How can I add grades?===
===How can I add grades?===
, , , .
Revision as of 19:55, 25 August 2021
- 1 Welcome to Sakai!
- 2 FAQs about getting started as an Instructor
- 2.1 How can I find Sakai?
- 2.2 How can I log into Sakai?
- 2.3 How can I find my courses?
- 2.4 Can I create a new Sakai space for my course?
- 2.5 Can I create a new course space if I'm not yet known as the course instructor?
- 2.6 How can I change my favourited courses?
- 2.7 Where can I find help?
- 2.8 How can I add more options to my new Sakai site?
- 2.9 How can I share my syllabus or other documents with students?
- 2.10 How can I email the class?
- 2.11 How can I add grades?
- 2.12 How can I collect online submissions?
- 2.13 How can I create online modules?
Welcome to Sakai!
Sakai (sometimes called 'Isaak-Sakai' or 'Isaak') is Brock University's Learning Management System. Sakai can be used in many ways by educators, though here are a few ideas:
- Quickly create a common space to which all students in your course have online access
- Digitally share or collect learning content in the context of your course
- Facilitate interaction among students
- Deliver course content in an online format
- Share instructional videos
The 60-minute video displayed below is intended for instructors and other educators that freshly learning to use Sakai for teaching.
FAQs about getting started as an Instructor
How can I find Sakai?
It can also be located from most Brock University webpages:
- visit any brocku.ca webpage
- open Menu
- click Isaak/Sakai
How can I log into Sakai?
After visiting https://lms.brocku.ca/portal/, click Brock Login.
If you haven't logged into Sakai in a little while, you'll be directed to a Microsoft-hosted login page. Enter your Brock email and click Next.
You'll be directed to Brock's login page. Enter your full Brock email and password and click Sign in.
Lastly, you'll be prompted to approve your login using your chosen authenticator method. Visit Brock University's Multi-Factor Authentication page for more information about setting up authentication.
How can I find my courses?
Courses that you deliver as an instructor or co-instructor, or courses in which you possess a different role will appear within your navigation near the top of any page in Sakai. Clicking upon a course title will allow you visit that course's space in Sakai.
Can I create a new Sakai space for my course?
Instructors are empowered to create Sakai spaces for upcoming courses using steps at Create a new course site. Mainly to respect academic freedoms, sites are rarely pre-created for instructors.
Most members of Brock faculty or staff are able to create sites on demand, though only instructors of courses (aka Instructors of Record) are able to include student rosters as part of site creation steps. Some additional discussion of this is provided within the Before you begin section.
It is sometimes also useful to create a project site to test Sakai's features in a low-risk setting or to prepare course content in advance of sharing with a formal course site.
Can I create a new course space if I'm not yet known as the course instructor?
Or consider creating creating a project site.
How can I change my favourited courses?
Favourited or pinned courses will always be shown to you in your top navigation from any Sakai page and will possess a yellow next to their title. Updating your favourited courses once in a while or at the start of new terms can be handy, as it keeps your Sakai experience fresh.
To update your favourited courses, try these steps:
Where can I find help?
For speediest responses, we encourage usage of the email@example.com contact.
A great deal of help information is also available within this space. To begin from the home page, visit https://docu.brocku.ca/.
How can I add more options to my new Sakai site?
For steps to uploading a document, visit Upload files to Resources
A popular but optional additional measure can be to add a link to your course syllabus to your Sakai site's toolbar. Once you've uploaded a document, follow steps at Add a link to a syllabus or other document to do so.
How can I email the class?
Though there are a number of options to facilitate batch-contacting or emailing of students in your course, Sakai's Announcements tool is normally the most popular. It is typically handy for easily sharing important updates or notes with your students but is not able to receive replies. To contact students in a way that allows them to reply, consider the tool.
The Announcements tool is not available in new Sakai sites by default, but can be enabled with the steps in Add tools to my site.
- After enabling Announcements, take steps at Add an Announcement to send a mass message to your students within Sakai only.
- If you'd like to contact your students via both Sakai and their Brock email, ensure that the steps detailed in the Notify participants of announcement by email section are taken while creating your message.
How can I add grades?
While the Gradebook can be used to capture the entirety of a course's assessment, instructors can also choose to use the Gradebook to track only several items, like participation scores, that are not practical to share back with students in a classroom setting.