For Instructors - Getting Started with Sakai
- 1 Welcome to Sakai!
- 2 FAQs about getting started as an Instructor
- 2.1 How can I find Sakai?
- 2.2 How can I log into Sakai?
- 2.3 How can I find my courses?
- 2.4 One of my courses is not available in Sakai. Is something wrong?
- 2.5 How can I change my favourited courses?
- 2.6 Where can I get technical help?
- 2.7 How can I download the course syllabus?
- 2.8 How can I submit an assignment?
- 2.9 How can I begin a quiz?
Welcome to Sakai!
Sakai (sometimes called 'Isaak-Sakai' or 'Isaak') is Brock University's Learning Management System. Sakai can be used in many ways by educators, though here are a few ideas:
- Quickly create a common space to which all students in your course have online access
- Digitally share or collect learning content in the context of your course
- Facilitate interaction among students
- Deliver course content in an online format
- Share instructional videos
The 60-minute video displayed below is intended for instructors and other educators that freshly learning to use Sakai for teaching.
FAQs about getting started as an Instructor
How can I find Sakai?
It can also be located from most Brock University webpages:
- visit any brocku.ca webpage
- open Menu
- click Isaak/Sakai
How can I log into Sakai?
After visiting https://lms.brocku.ca/portal/, click Brock Login.
If you haven't logged into Sakai in a little while, you'll be directed to a Microsoft-hosted login page. Enter your Brock email and click Next.
You'll be directed to Brock's login page. Enter your full Brock email and password and click Sign in.
Lastly, you'll be prompted to approve your login using your chosen authenticator method. Visit Brock University's Multi-Factor Authentication page for more information about setting up authentication.
How can I find my courses?
Courses that you deliver as an instructor or co-instructor, or courses in which you possess a different role will appear within your navigation near the top of any page in Sakai. Clicking upon a course title will allow you visit that course's space in Sakai.
One of my courses is not available in Sakai. Is something wrong?
- If the class has just begun, give it a few days. Many course instructors choose to open their Sakai sites to students on or near the first day of classes.
- If you've just registered for a course, it can sometimes take up to one day for the course's Sakai site to appear for you.
- Steps in How can I find my courses? above might help you locate a missing course.
How can I change my favourited courses?
Favourited or pinned courses will always be shown to you in your top navigation from any Sakai page and will possess a yellow next to their title. Updating your favourited courses once in a while or at the start of new terms can be handy, as it keeps your Sakai experience fresh.
To update your favourited courses, try these steps:
Where can I get technical help?
How can I download the course syllabus?
Many instructors will choose to share their course's syllabus or course outline within the Resources tool in their Sakai sites. It's also possible that readings, assignment descriptions, and other useful course info is available in Resources, so checking once in a while is a great idea.
Try these quick steps to download a course syllabus, if it's available, from the Resources tool:
- Open the Resources tool
- Click upon the syllabus to download it
How can I submit an assignment?
Most online assignments collected within Sakai will occur within the Assignments tool. While some courses may have special instructions for submitting your assignments (check the syllabus!), some useful general instructions are available at Submit an Assignment.
Is the course calling for you to create a video for your assignment? Try the steps in Submit a Video Assignment.
How can I begin a quiz?
Tests, midterms, quizzes, and even final examinations are often collected via Sakai's Tests & Quizzes tool. Schedules might vary, and your instructor might have special instructions (check the syllabus!), some good general instructors for beginning a test in Tests & Quizzes are available at Submit a test or quiz.