For Instructors - Getting Started with Sakai
- 1 Welcome to Sakai!
- 2 FAQs about getting started as an Instructor
- 2.1 How can I find Sakai?
- 2.2 How can I log into Sakai?
- 2.3 How can I find my courses?
- 2.4 Can I create a new Sakai space for my course?
- 2.5 Can I create a new course space if I'm not yet known as the course instructor?
- 2.6 How can I change my favourited courses?
- 2.7 Where can I find help?
- 2.8 How can I share my syllabus or other documents with students?
- 2.9 How can I email the class?
- 2.10 How can I add grades?
- 2.11 How can I collect online submissions?
- 2.12 How can I create online modules?
- 2.13 How can I create and share instructional video?
Welcome to Sakai!
Sakai (sometimes called 'Isaak-Sakai' or 'Isaak') is Brock University's Learning Management System. Sakai can be used in many ways by educators, though here are a few ideas:
- Quickly create a common space to which all students in your course have online access
- Digitally share or collect learning content in the context of your course
- Facilitate interaction among students
- Deliver course content in an online format
- Share instructional videos
The 60-minute video displayed below is intended for instructors and other educators that freshly learning to use Sakai for teaching.
FAQs about getting started as an Instructor
How can I find Sakai?
It can also be located from most Brock University webpages:
- visit any brocku.ca webpage
- open Menu
- click Isaak/Sakai
How can I log into Sakai?
After visiting https://lms.brocku.ca/portal/, click Brock Login.
If you haven't logged into Sakai in a little while, you'll be directed to a Microsoft-hosted login page. Enter your Brock email and click Next.
You'll be directed to Brock's login page. Enter your full Brock email and password and click Sign in.
Lastly, you'll be prompted to approve your login using your chosen authenticator method. Visit Brock University's Multi-Factor Authentication page for more information about setting up authentication.
How can I find my courses?
Courses that you deliver as an instructor or co-instructor, or courses in which you possess a different role will appear within your navigation near the top of any page in Sakai. Clicking upon a course title will allow you visit that course's space in Sakai.
Can I create a new Sakai space for my course?
Most members of Brock faculty or staff are able to create sites on demand, though only instructors of courses (aka Instructors of Record) are able to include student rosters as part of site creation steps. Some additional discussion of this is provided within the Before you begin section.
It is sometimes also useful to create a project site to test Sakai's features in a low-risk setting or to prepare course content in advance of sharing with a formal course site.
Can I create a new course space if I'm not yet known as the course instructor?
How can I change my favourited courses?
Favourited or pinned courses will always be shown to you in your top navigation from any Sakai page and will possess a yellow next to their title. Updating your favourited courses once in a while or at the start of new terms can be handy, as it keeps your Sakai experience fresh.
To update your favourited courses, try these steps:
Where can I find help?
For speediest responses, we encourage usage of the email@example.com contact.
A great deal of help information is also available within this space. To begin from the home page, visit https://docu.brocku.ca/.
For steps to uploading a document, visit Upload files to Resources
A popular but optional additional measure can be to add a link to your course syllabus to your Sakai site's toolbar. Once you've uploaded a document, follow steps at Add a link to a syllabus or other document to do so.