Grade tests and quizzes
Most question types in Tests & Quizzes are automatically graded by the system. However, you will need to manually score short answer/essay questions, file uploads, and audio recordings. You may also adjust the auto-graded scores, add comments, or give partial credit.
If you would like to send your assessment scores to the Gradebook so that they can be included in the course grade calculation or allow students to see an answer key or other feedback in Tests & Quizzes, see Grading and Feedback options for an assessment (i.e. test or quiz)
On the Total Scores screen for an assessment, you can see the total score each student received based on the points from auto-graded questions (such as multiple choice and true false). You may adjust the students' scores and for students who submitted the assessment, you can add comments.
For more information on manually grading individual student submissions or questions, see the following articles:
- Give zeros to all students with no submission for an assessment
- Grade assessment submissions by student
- Grade assessment submissions by question.
- Download Tests and Quizzes submissions for grading offline
- Tests & Quizzes will NOT automatically grade students with no submission. If a student who did not submit an assessment should receive a grade of 0, you'll need to enter a 0 for their grade.
- Comments cannot be added within the Tests & Quizzes tool for students with no submission and they do not have access to feedback for assessments they did not submit. If you'd like to print an answer key to an assessment to provide to students who did not submit, see Print an assessment (i.e. test or quiz)
- Once a grade has been saved for a student in Tests & Quizzes, you cannot delete the grade to remove it from the student's course grade. If you inadvertently assign a score to a student who should not have received one for an assessment, and the assessment score is being sent to the Gradebook, you may need to override the course grade in the Gradebook.
Go to Tests & Quizzes
Select the Tests & Quizzes tool from the Tool Menu in your site.
Select the Published-All View
Select the Published-All option in the View drop-down to view the assessments that have been released to students in your site.
Go to the assessment submissions.
Select the Scores option from the drop-down menu for the assessment you would like to grade.
Alternately, you may also click on the number of student submissions in the Submitted column to view the submissions.
Display multiple submissions for students. (Optional)
By default, the submission that displays for each student will be based on your assessment's Recorded Score setting. For example, if you accept the highest score, the highest scoring submission will display. If you accept the average score, the average point value of all the student's submissions will display.
If your assessment allows multiple submissions, or if a student has submitted an allowed retake, you can choose to view all student submissions by selecting All Submissions from the View drop-down menu.
Enter score adjustment and overall comments.
To make a grade adjustment to the overall assessment score:
- Enter a positive or negative score into the Adjustment column to add or subtract points from the student's overall score.
- You may also enter comments in the Comments for Student column if you like. Students will see these comments when they view the assessment feedback. Optionally, you may also attach a file containing additional feedback. Click Add Attachments to attach a file.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the list and click the Update button to save your changes.
Note: The Final Score column will display the adjusted score after you save your changes.