Grading in Sakai
Grading permissions can be set in Sakai for TAs with the Assign TAs tool or permissions can be set within each individual tool.
Grading in Assignments
In order for Teaching Assistants to be able to grade assignments Instructors must adjust the Permissions in the Assignments tab to select Grade assignment submission(s) under the TA role.
If you'd like to connect your Assignment to Gradebook so that the grades from this assignment can be sent to Gradebook and released to the students, select one of the options below.
- Do not add assignment to Gradebook: This is the default selection. This option does not send any grade information to the gradebook.
- Add assignment to Gradebook: This will create a new item in the gradebook with the same name as your assignment title.
- Associate with existing Gradebook entry: This option allows you to link your assignment to an existing gradebook item. This is useful if you have already created items in your Gradebook and you want to use one of them, rather than creating a new assignment. You may only link an assignment to a single Gradebook item, and vice versa.
For more information on grading Assignments see the various articles linked below:
- Grade an Assignment
- Grade Assignments Offline
- Allow Teaching Assistants to grade assignments
- Change the Assignments tool permissions
- Grade a Video Assignment
- Grade a Peer Assessment Assignment
- Upload graded assignment submissions and feedback
- Release Assignment Grades
- Send Assessment Grades to Gradebook
Grading in Tests and Quizzes
Grading in Forums
Grading in Lessons
Entering Grades in Gradebook
Anyone in the Teaching Assistant role can enter and edit grades for gradebook items that Instructors have created.
The Assign TAs tool is helpful in setting permissions for grading. If you want TAs grading in Tests and Quizzes it is how to give those with the role Teacher's Assistant access to the submissions. More information is available in Assign TAs.
Some considerations when entering grades
Releasing Grades Grades can be released on an assessment level (all students at once) via the tool (Assignments: Release Assignment Grades, Tests and Quizzes: Grading and Feedback options for an assessment (i.e. test or quiz)). Grades that are sent to Gradebook from these tools also need to be released to students: Edit Gradebook items.
Entering Zeros: Zeros must be entered for an assessment in order to be calculated into the grade. They are especially important when the "Drop the Lowest" option is enabled. However, when a student receives a zero it can stimulate a negative response from the student, communication can often assist with this response. When zeros are entered. Zeros entered directly in Gradebook can be reverted to a null (empty) entry manually by double clicking in the grade cell and then deleting the zero.
Note about Grading with Rubrics
If you are using Rubrics in your grading for Assignments, please see the following pages for more information on Rubrics: